I am a straight ally. The decision to allow same-sex couples to marry does not directly affect me, however, it affects some of my closest friends and may someday affect my future children. I believe the SCOTUS made the right decision and now we truly do have justice for all.
Since the decision was announced Friday morning I have seen mostly positive responses. Sadly, there have been a few negative responses and to those people I have a few things to say:
1. I respect your right to religion and am sensitive to the fact your religion is important to you. With that said I do not agree that this country needs to be ran based off what your religion says is "right." Because honestly, who's to say whose religion is "right"? This country is meant to protect all of its citizens. Men, women, black, white, straight, gay: We all bleed the same.
2. Homosexuality is not a choice. To those that believe same-sex couples are "choosing" their "sinful" "lifestyle" I suggest you educate yourself. Just as some people are born being left-handed (which is 'different' than the majority!) some people are born gay.
3. Having children is not the only thing marriage is good for. Yes, having children while married often happens, but there are many married couples who choose not to procreate. There are also many couples who choose to adopt (yay!). Fortunately, two men and/or two women are perfectly capable of parenting a child.
4. If you have nothing nice to say (or nothing factual to say), don't say anything at all. I've seen a lot of harsh, insensitive, and just plain ignorant things being posted online and I don't feel that is what anyone's God would want them to do (regardless of religion).
To all... Love more. Have compassion. Help when and who you can. Do the right thing. Be understanding. Educate yourself. Judge yourself and nobody else.
XO- A

No comments :
Post a Comment