Friday, March 3, 2017

Hello, 2017.

Whoa! A lot has happened since I last posted.

  • I began working full-time as a Marriage & Family Therapist Intern. I was offered a job at a crisis residential program and stayed there for a full year before transferring to the agency's newest house in Tustin. I love my job! I'm coming up on my two year work anniversary (July) and can say that it has been such an amazing experience thus far. I've learned A TON and feel more competent within my skills as a clinician as each month passes.
  • I turned 30! And everyone else got older, too. The older I get, the more I understand the quote: "The days are long but the years are short." My sweet nephew will be 4 next month; my dear niece just turned two. My mom can now officially get senior citizen discounts (haha- mom!), my sister is nearing her mid-30s, and my wonderful grandparents are both in their late 70s now. When I close my eyes and picture all of these people, it's as if I've frozen them all in time. I will forever picture my mom in her 30s, with bleach blonde hair, and my grandparents in their 50s being the "young grandparents" in comparison to all of my friend's grandparents. Luckily, my mom & grandparents don't "show" their age, and I'm so fortunate to have them all in my life. Could not be doing this life without them!
  • I BOUGHT A HOUSE! I started the house hunting process in the spring of 2016. I initially was looking at condos but after falling out of escrow on a 1-bedroom/1bathroom condo (which turned out to be a blessing in disguise!), I began considering looking at homes instead. With the cost of HOA factored in, I could afford "more home" if I went the house route vs condo. I toured at least 30 different homes until finally stumbling upon a 1949-built, single-story 2 bedroom/1bathroom home being sold by the original owner (a woman in her early 90s). I wrote her a sweet letter and my offer was accepted the day I was moving out of my last apartment and into my sister's place temporarily. The home buying experience was stressful! But it was absolutely, without a doubt, worth it. I've been in my home since November 2016 (I closed in October, but my brother-in-law and I did some remodeling before I moved in).
  • The 2016 Election. This was a devastating loss for not only the Democratic party, but anyone with a brain and a heart. I was rooting for Bernie Sanders, but when Hillary Clinton won the nomination I jumped on #teamhillary train, simply because I could not imagine our country being led by the GOP nominee. Well, we all know what happened with that election.
  • I experienced loss-- twice. Sadly, my Uncle Steve passed away from cancer in January 2016. Growing up I spent a lot of time at my aunt & uncle's home in Long Beach, CA. As I grew up, and life got in the way, I saw that side of my family less and less. I last saw my uncle at my graduation party in May 2015. His loss hit me hard-- and I still think of him often. Recently, my grandpa's only sister, Aunt Connie, also passed away from cancer. I am sad for my grandpa, as I cannot begin to imagine ever losing my sister. She lived such a long, beautiful life, and leaves behind her 6 children and many grandchildren.

Of course this is just a tiny snippet of my life's happenings, but I feel this best summarizes my last year and a half. Until next time...

XO- A

No comments :

Post a Comment