Saturday, December 20, 2014

It's been a while.

Here's what's been going on with me since I last blogged...

  • I started my practicum (basically an unpaid internship) in May. At first I was just co-faciliating groups working with adolescents, but have since taken on 4 individual clients (ranging in ages from 6-16) on top of that weekly group. 
  • I quit my job as a graduate assistant at my school's counseling center so that I could take on a second practicum. This was a difficult decision to make with regards to finances, but for graduation requirements I needed to get as many "hours" (I need 280 client-contact hours total) as I could get.
  • I started my second (unpaid) practicum at the Salvation Army. I am still grappling with the decision to work for this organization–– which I could get into but won't right now–– though now, after being there for almost three months, I am determined to at least finish my 6-month commitment and then leave. At the SA I have three individual male clients and co-faciliate two all-male groups. Working with men in recovery from substance misuse has been an exciting yet challenging experience! 
  • I finally transferred to HB shelter from Laguna and so far I am loving the change, not to mention getting two shifts every week has been helpful financially. 
  • I applied for the CA MFT Stipend and GOT IT! Hands down, biggest achievement of the year. What this means is I will earn $18,500 (a tax-free "bonus") for committing to one year of work post-grad for the county of Orange at any Department of Behavioral Services (mental health) site. Woohoo! Once I graduate and get my intern number I can start applying for jobs and as soon as I begin working my one-year commitment also begins. :)

It's been one busy year.
But with only three months, 27 days left of grad school (yes, I'm counting) I am finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.


XO- A

No comments :

Post a Comment